Saturday, March 21, 2009

Six Nations

So today is the last day of the tournament and everything should go according to pat. What that means is, England will win and so will France which leaves Italy with the wooden spoon. I am often saddened by this as personally I believe they play a lovely brand of rugby and they have such a fine spirit. Unfortunately they have no depth in players so injuries and bounce of the ball often play a significant part in their demise. It happens to all Nations and I believe Italy will keep on getting better, watch out for next years surprises.

Which leaves us with the grand finale of Ireland and Wales. Most people already know that for Ireland to lose the tournament, Wales have to win by more than thirteen points. It should be great and Wales will have home ground advantage and it often surprises me how telling a factor this is.

The big question is can Ireland achieve a grand slam for the first time in over sixty years? Will this be a factor on putting too much pressure on the players? I have to reiterate that I predicted Ireland would win the Six Nations pre- tournament and so I am going to stand by that. However will it be a clean sweep? My answer, Yes; because for personal reasons I wish it so.

So to all rugby fans, let's look forward to a great afternoons play and I hope the Irish contingent are not as nervous as I am.

No comments:

Post a Comment