Sunday, August 2, 2009

Awesome Springboks

I grew up in Zimbabwe which is the first country on the Northern South African border. Consequently I have always been a fan of South African sport, be this golf, tennis, cricket or rugby and many other sports besides.

It often amazes me that no matter how well they do, they are not quite considered as the best. The classic example is with the rugby team known as the Springboks. They have won the world cup twice and are the current holders, which should speak volumes. But no, the New Zealand, All Blacks are the better team, irrespective of whether they win the world cup or not. Well, well, well, in the current Tri-Nations series, the All Blacks have currently lost twice to the Springboks. Yet the perception still entails that they are the better side.

I can't make peace with this and am the first to say that All Black rugby teams are great sides. No question in my mind about that. However, fair is fair and this Springbok rugby side is in my opinion, in a class of it's own.

Next up they take on Australia and I cannot see them getting the upper hand and believe great things are yet to come from this Springbok side provided they do not have a spate of injuries. As I said earlier, fair is fair so let's put this to rest. The Springboks are the better side. Just look at the scores.

No comments:

Post a Comment