Tuesday, November 24, 2009

The football fiasco



Hear we go again, another hand of God incident. The referee is always right. Now that's rich and I include umpires in this as well. The truth is, sometimes they are and sometimes they're not. I'm a lifelong lover of sport and the incidents I have experienced of this are legendary. In a football (or is that soccer?) game, I'm a largely disinterested spectator. However, now and again I like a look see especially if my country is involved. So we had another farce.




The thing about refs and umpires, they are always right, because if one did not have this, then any game would resort to chaos. Even with them, they often still do.




In the old days and especially in amateur sport is where they are always right came from. All evidence and human nature and bias to the contrary notwithstanding. Moreover times change and technology changes. Rugby, cricket, tennis, at the professional level, are just a few examples. Here the referee is no longer always right and players have a referral system to question dubious decisions. They use modern technology and third umpires. Whatever happened to football (soccer?)

No comments:

Post a Comment