Friday, February 20, 2009

Friends

An amazing thing happened to me this week and it all has to do with the amazing technology in the world today.

While I have had a PC almost since their inception, things have come such a long way. I mainly used this for accounts and gross margin budgets etc. on my farms. Gradually what happens is your wife starts complaining on having nothing to do with the farm, so you get her going on the PC and she takes over all the bookwork and you are only called in to do the cash flows. Consequently you spend less and less time on it and sometimes no time at all and lose interest.

This turned out to be a big mistake on my part because being deaf and not being able to use the telephone I failed to grasp the exceptional ways this could be of great help to the deaf. I always used to argue that Alexander Graham Bell developed the telephone because he had some one he loved who was deaf and he was trying to work out how sound works so that he could help. As it turned out this helped all but the very people who initially he wanted to help.

Then came the digital world and now people could text and so could the deaf. What goes round comes round I suppose. Still, it still meant you couldn't get a job as you cannot use the phone.

So the Internet passed me by although I was aware of it and had no need for social networking. What a fool I was.

Lately due to my circumstances changing, I have been paying more attention to it and trying to make up lost ground. There is a lot to make up. So this week I tried face book having always before thought it was only for the young and my generation were past it.

Well you could have blown me over with a feather. I found some friends there from my school days when I still had my hearing. It's between 37 and 40 years since I last saw these guys. It was as if all the years had shifted away and we were immediately on the same wavelenght and still friends after all this time and it made me realise what I have been missing by not making the best of modern technology.

Guess I'm a slow learner but learn I will. It made my week.

1 comment:

  1. That is so neat to read. I love finding old friends and have had similar experiences online. Isn't it fun!

    ReplyDelete