Wednesday, March 4, 2009

A sad time for Cricket

Rarely have I been as saddened as after the terrible debacle of the Sri Lankan cricket team being fired upon by assailants unknown but obviously from some political sect. It goes beyond everything I hold dear. That innocent sportsmen representing their country should have to endure this, set upon by a bunch of cowardly thugs who now think that they are special because they hold an automatic weapon in their hands. Whatever will we come to next?

Cricket holds a special place in my heart. It always has and it always will. It is more than a game, it epitomises the best in all of us, or it used to? The important things are honesty, courage and good sportsmanship or more commonly because it is known as the Gentleman's game. I have many experiences of this in my personal life. You see I believe that sport bridges wide divides. I know this having lived most of my life in what is a sad, blighted country. However the best experiences I had nearly always came about from the fields of play.

I am reminded of a particularly poignant time in our countries history. It was a time when we were pariahs in the world because of the dreaded "R" word. Our sportsmen were banned from International play however rightly or wrongly is not for me to say, that's just the way it was. It is because of times like this that I have such strong views on how important a part sport plays in the grand scheme of things, or what I like to call, bridging wide divides. The other thing is that you have to look at things within the context of the times. Can any one remember the "Harlem Globetrotters?" Who can honestly say that if you happened to see them you were not mesmerised. More importantly, that is exactly what they were doing; bridging wide divides.

In 1970 we had a double wicket competition, which is the forerunner to today's one day and twenty twenty format of cricket. Players from all over the world were invited with dire consequences being threatened by various governments to any player who had the audacity to accept. Some great players accepted including the Chappell brothers Ian and Greg from Australia amongst many other famous players. However into this arena strode a true colossus. He went by the name of Gary Sobers.

This caused an International outcry. However they need not have worried because without a shadow of a doubt he mesmerised a country. He never said a word about the rights and wrongs of things, he just played cricket and he played it so superbly well. No breast beating here and at the end of his short stay in our country if there had been an election he would have won it hands down. I repeat, he bridged wide divides and he left an everlasting impression on one small boy. I'm so grateful I had the opportunity to see you play.

On going back home he was in tremendous trouble, but sudden storms are short and it is hard to be too cross with one of your countries greatest ambassadors. I see this great man ( now Sir Garfield Sobers )is still at it. I see his country Barbados is sponsoring Sky News Sports and I love the caption of him teeing of on a golf course and I think, how can he keep his arm so straight at his age?

I digressed a bit, but I was trying to get a point across and this is the reason why I am so saddened, disgusted and upset by the Sri Lankan incident. My hopes and prayers are with you all.

The world is not going forward here, it is going backwards.

No comments:

Post a Comment