Wednesday, June 10, 2009

The Lions in South Africa

Up until now I have been quiet about this. Normally I like to make a prediction prior to matches starting like I did with Ireland winning the six nations. Initially my gut feeling was that it was going to be 1974 all over again when a not so highly rated Lions took on a very highly rated South Africa and gave them a hiding.

But as I said I kept quiet and it's not to late yet except I've missed out on them being all conquering. The first game they played against very mediocre opposition they won, in the end the score was flattering and they got away with this by the skin of their teeth. The same day the South African provincial side the blue bulls ( historically one of the strongest provinces ) took on the New Zealand provincial side the chiefs in the final of the Super Fourteen. The blue bulls gave them a comprehensive hiding and I came to the conclusion. That if that is the strength of South African rugby at provincial level, then this Lions side has no hope.

Since then the Lions have played two more games against provincial sides, won one convincingly and the other by a stroke of good fortune. I'm not impressed. Tonight at 6pm Irish time the Lions take on my favourite South African provincial side, the Natal sharks. It will be the first time they come up against a strong side and I cannot wait for it to start.

I'm not sure how to call the game but it will be an indication of what this current Lions side is about. The only other thing I can say is that choosing the final XV for the first Test is going to be a selectors nightmare. Consequently I am going to try and pick the side on this blog and then see what the official version is.

Stay tuned, but in the meantime enjoy the games.

No comments:

Post a Comment