Saturday, July 18, 2009

A celebration of life

Have been out of touch lately. The Lions rugby is done and dusted. However my wife's sister and her husband came to visit us from New Zealand ( another great family who were ousted from Zimbabwe ) and we hadn't seen them for 9 years. How time flies by. As it turns out the two sisters have always been very close and from the word go I always got on with her and her husband. What times we have had and what a pleasure it was to have them and their youngest daughter, now sweet little sixteen. We laughed from the moment I picked them up at Dublin airport until the moment they left. Unfortunately my favourite Uncle died two days before they left and I was heartbroken by this. Consequently I had to get them up to Dublin earlier than expected, so that we could attend the funeral and what a lovely service that was as well. My Uncles son is a world renown musician and he conducted an orchestra during the service and also had his youngest son play a solo piano piece flawlessly and heartrendingly beautiful. My Uncle would have loved it.

I also was trying to become a Giant at Squidoo and by some stroke of good fortune managed to achieve this status and also had the accolade of having one of my articles, awarded a purple star. The highest honour of all. I'm flattered.

Since, some great things are happening. Being a lifelong cricket lover there is nothing better than the Ashes cricket tests between England and Australia and the rivalry is intense. As it turns out the series is finely poised with the first test being drawn and England currently in the driving seat in the second test.

Then there is the start of the Tri-Nations rugby series between the giants of the Southern hemisphere, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia. New Zealand won the first match against Australia this morning.

Not least the British Open golf with Tiger Woods missing the cut and a 59 year old man, Tom Watson still joint leader after day two. What a feast of great sport and what a celebration of life.

No comments:

Post a Comment