Monday, July 20, 2009

Postcript on the Golf and cricket

Following up on my last post and two things are done and dusted. Firstly England won the second test and deservedly so. It's certainly going to liven up the series.

Then of course the British Open Golf. Who would have believed it possible that a 59 year 10 month old man who had a hip replacement recently would lead for four days. It went to the wire and he played one bad shot in all that time, which was his second to the green on the eighteenth. All he had to do was make par and the tournament was his. Astonishing.

As it turns out he bogeyed it and had to play a form of sudden death which he lost. As far as I'm concerned he never lost. Rules, rules, rules. But how I like to look at it is, in racing terms. One doesn't re-run a hundred metre dash when one cannot separate the winners or worse still have a re-run between the two winners of lets just say 20 metres. No sir, it's a dead heat and both won.

If I was Tom Watson, that's how I would be consoling myself. If I was Stewart Cink Iwould be thinking. I made a birdie putt on the eighteenth under huge pressure, so I also deserved to win.

Anyway congratulations to Stewart Cink on being a worthy British Open golf champion. To Tom Watson, thank you for giving me four of the best days of my life. What an inspiration.

No comments:

Post a Comment